Search This Blog

Friday, August 31, 2012

What's That Over There?

Welcome to Yaalozu's blog. Here you can write your Yaalozu reflections, stories, poems, recipes, and songs. If you have something to ad to our recorded history, post it!

For our grand opening, I want to share this year's bear story. On the Mt Minsi hike, which is known for its bear sightings, we had an interesting scare. Before the hike, I warned and prepared the campers about how to deal with a bear on the mountain. For better or worse, we did not see any bears during the entire first half of the hike. Most of us kinda wanted to see a bear, but you cant make them just come out when we call them.

I set up for my speech at the viewpoint overlooking the Delaware River and the surrounding valley. The view is stunning, and I like to think my speech is too. I am very particular that everyone sit and pay attention and look in my direction during this speech.

In the middle of the speech, Yaakov and a camper interrupt the speech -- "Bear!" the famous one word exclamation that always stops us in our tracks no matter what we are doing. As the campers got up to look, I ordered them to return to their seats. Issue number one when you see a bear is to keep the group under control and out of panic mode. Once they are in panic mode, even an imaginary bear will cause damage. Panic will cause people to do harmful things accidentally to themselves and to each other.

I checked out the bear sighting. I saw trees rustling, but I decided even if it is a bear, its better to avoid panic now and continue with my speech. if it is a bear, Ill tell everyone what to do when the time comes. After all, I know bears dont just jump out of the trees and attack. They are curious. They like to see what's going on first before they act.

I continued with my speech. Suddenly, the rustling noise returns, and with it the sound of rushing paw-stomps. I turned around right on time to see 2 advancing Y3 campers, roaring like amateur bears. They certainly surprised us.

How did they get there in the first place?

8 comments:

  1. tani, i hope u heard that wen we were in front group i think on the two or three day wen u turn right on the green and walk along a river, we actually did see a real bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WAS THERE it was the 2 day

      Delete
    2. Yes it was the two day. I heard the roar of Yaalozu from up the hill on the blue trail and immediately recognized it as a response to a bear sighting.

      Delete
  2. sha sha shavua tov

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benjy Benjy Benjy Benjy Benjy Fink BENJY FINK!!! You had us there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. minsi was the one day i remember because zvi had his tom salamone sign and we went back to camp with y3 and also it was kind of a let down I REALY WANTED TO SEE A BEAR!!!
    tzvi weiss

    ReplyDelete